Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Place!!!

Victoria had her first CYO Cross Country meet on Saturday morning and not only did she improve her time over two weeks ago by nearly 30 seconds, she came in First Place for Jr. High Girls!!! Her coaches told her to stay behind a couple of girls, who they thought would be the best. She did for the first mile, then overtook them at the start of the second mile. They were right behind her for the first part of the second mile and then she steadily increased her lead. I was waiting by the finish line when someone asked, "Is that the turtle or is that the first runner?" I turned around to see Victoria all by herself with a couple hundred yards to go. I said, "That's the first place runner and that's my daughter!!!" What a great feeling to see your daughter coming in first with no other runners in sight!! (Not that I'm not proud when she doesn't come in first :) Anyway, her file mile was 6:29 and her second was 6:15, for a total of 12:44!! I don't think the coaches are going to tell her to hang back next week!! Just run your race Victoria!!! So proud of you :)

The final sprint to the finish line!!
Rounding the final corner in the race!!

First Place Medal!!
Also, big congrats to Victoria for being voted Vice President for Student Council. She was running against two other girls, so I am again proud of her accomplishment.

On another note, Madalyn had her first soccer game of the season yesterday too. Unfortunately, it was at the exact same time as Victoria's race, so I don't have any pictures. Mark is coaching again this year, so I can only go when the others don't conflict. The good news is they won 14-2!! She plays again today and I will be able to see most of the game. She is not too happy that Dad is putting her in goal to start the game, but I have confidence in her!! First, I have to drop Alex off to warm up for his football game, which starts around the same time Maddy should be ending. Hopefully, we can bring home a couple more wins. It's a beautiful day, so that always helps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats to Victoria! I want to know who she gets these running genes from.